As a teacher, it is your job to provide the best classroom environment for you and your students. This can be difficult at times.
But the last thing any teacher wants is their students coming into an unpleasant environment where they do not feel free or motivated enough to learn. To avoid this, here are some tips on how teachers can create an excellent classroom environment that will make all students want to be there every day!
18 Definitive Tips for Classroom Excellence
These tips will keep both the students and yourself happy as they learn together in a supportive environment. Try to implement as many of these tips as possible:
- Set a routine and stick to it
- Reward your children for good behavior with small, but meaningful rewards
- Give your child choices whenever possible – they’ll feel more in control of their lives and will be more likely to cooperate
- When disciplining, make sure you’re clear on the rules before beginning
- Let them know that you understand how difficult it is for kids when parents are fighting or not getting along well
- Tell them how much you love them and want what’s best for them (even if they don’t believe you)
- Make sure that the students are engaged, either through discussion or hands on activities
- Don’t be afraid to share your own personal experiences with the class
- Motivate them by showing how their work will impact others in their community
- Use positive reinforcement – let them know when they’ve done well and give praise where it is needed
- Be clear on what you want from each student so that they know what is expected of them
- Give students a sense of ownership over their classroom environment by asking for input and contributions to projects
- Create a classroom motto
- Establish a class reward system for students who excel
- Have your students make posters to remind them of the classroom rules
- Ask each student to write down their goals and hang it on the wall as a reminder
- Have your students create an inspirational quote board with pictures from magazines, words cut out from magazines, or other images that inspire them
- Make sure you have positive feedback for every student in front of the whole class at least once a week
Creating an excellent learning environment is an incredibly important consideration for any school setting. Teachers and parents alike should be working to create the best conditions possible in their classrooms, with many benefits coming from doing so. This includes better student attention and focus, increased motivation on behalf of students, greater feelings of engagement and accomplishment within an individual classroom, as well as more opportunities for teachers to provide feedback that will lead to improved understanding or proficiency in concepts among learners.
Never Too Late to Inspire a Motivational Atmosphere
If you haven’t already done so lately take some time this week to think about what your own classroom atmosphere could look like if it were optimized for maximum achievement potential. What changes can you make? Do you have enough motivational incentives displayed around your room? Are there clear signs pointing towards maximum positivity?